One of my goals this year, and overall in life, is to be more efficient and proactive. I used to believe that I wasn’t a morning person, but truth be told, when I don’t have to go in the office, I love waking up early on the weekends and getting a head start on my day. Even on vacations, I’m usually up before sunrise so I can catch the views from my destination.
When it comes to the work week, I’m sure I speak on behalf of many of us, being a “morning person” is a struggle. It usually consists of grabbing something in a wrapper, stuffing it in our purses and running out the door. Lately, I’ve been practicing a few tricks in the morning to help me not feel overwhelmed and worst of all, rushed before I have to go to work.
Shop my look ▼
1. I ALWAYS make my bed. I know this may sound counter-productive, especially when we’re short on time, but let me tell you the effect it has on me when I finally get home from a grueling day at the office and my bed is crisp and inviting.
2. I put my dishwasher on every night before bed. I don’t care if it’s filled or only has a few dishes, not having dirty dishes piled up in your sink in the morning is a huge stress relief. It’s these small acts that de-clutter your mind (and home) and set you you up for a more productive day.
3. I always eat breakfast. GUYS, if you don’t eat breakfast, tell me why? It’s no new news that its’ the most important meal of the day. Breakfast tends to be my heaviest, most caloric- meal, as well. Whether its poached eggs over a bed of spinach, or a protein, super green elixir smoothie with avocado toast, I’m eating it all!
4. I check my planner. Yes, I have a physical, paper planner and yes, they still make those. I prefer a tangible planner where I can get an overview of my day and my week ahead. It helps me prioritize, meal-plan and overall feel more organized with how and where I spend my time.
5. I plan my outfits for the week. This is fairly new and I won’t lie, often times a struggle. I added this after tip #4 because after I check my planner and I know what events, workout classes, dinners, etc. I have planned, I know how I need to dress for what occasion. It’s proven to be really helpful and cuts down most of my lagging time in the a.m. I put them on my clothing rack, along with my shoes and while I do plan them for the individual day, I can switch them to fit my mood that morning.
These 5 tips have truly helped be more effective in the morning. If you have any tips to share, I would love to hear them! Feel free to share them below in the comments. Hope your Monday is off to an amazing start! xx
Photos by Jennifer Coffey Photography